This is the first brick church built in Bardstown and is the oldest surviving church building in the city. Samuel P. Jones died in 1804 and bequeathed all the proceeds from the sale of his property to the establishment of a church for Christians. In 1812 the church was completed and named the Union Church because it was the home of early Protestant congregations. In 1866, under the leadership of Rev. Turner, it became the house of worship for Bardstown’s African-American Baptist congregation and the name was changed to the First Baptist Church. The sanctuary is on the second floor.
315 N. Second Street, Bardstown, KY 40004
Present Grove Presbyterian Church
375 Pleasant Grove Loop, Springfield, KY 40069
Springfield Presbyterian Church
The Springfield Presbyterian Church was organized in 1788 by “Scotch-Irish” pioneers from Virginia who settled in what is now Washington and Marion Counties. This early date distinguishes the congregation as the oldest in Washington County. Terah Templin, who served as the church’s first minister, was a renowned circuit preacher. He was one of the first ordained ministers in pioneer Kentucky. John Caldwell, a community founder who later became Lt. Governor of Kentucky, was an early Elder and representative to Presbytery from this church. The church occupied two other sites prior to 1827 when it built the first of several buildings at the current Main Street location. The oldest structure today is the 1836 bell tower which was preserved when the current brick church was built in 1888.
140 East Main St., Springfield, KY 40069; www.SPCKy.net, 859-336-3601